Are you eligible to become a Taxi Driver in NSW?

In metropolitan areas, to qualify to be a new taxi driver, you must meet all of the following:

  • Have held an Australian Driver Licence for a total of at least 12 months in the previous two years. (eg. if you have been driving on an unrestricted licence in another state for a total of 12 months then you are eligible, but, you must provide driving history from the state in Australia from where you came.)
  • Hold an unrestricted NSW Driver Licence. (If you do not have a NSW Driver Licence yet but have been driving with a full licence in other states for over 12 months, you must apply for this first with RMS) 
  • Be at least 20 years old.
  • Be medically fit to drive a passenger transport vehicle. (Service NSW will determine this).
  • If required, complete an English language test of conversational English. The University of Western Sydney is now providing NSW Government-endorsed assessment tests specifically for Sydney Taxi Drivers (applicants who hold an Australian/UK/NZ/USA/Canada passport, or completed their Higher School Certificate or Tertiary Degree where the course and assessments were conducted in English, may be exempt from this requirement. Further training for those who qualify under the exemption may be required under the discretion of the NSW Taxi Council on boarding team and management.

If you meet these requirements, your next steps are;

  • Visit your local Service NSW 

  • Request to complete an Application to become a Point to Point Transport Passenger Vehicle Driver, you will need to apply for a Passenger Transport Licence Code. Download your application form here and lodge this to your local Service NSW outlet. This will cost you $26.00 AU.

  • If deemed medically "fit" and safe to drive a Point to Point Transport Passenger Vehicle, Service NSW staff will notify you that you have been successful and a Passenger Transport Code (PTP Code or T Condition) will be applied to your current NSW Drivers Licence in the Roads & Maritime Service System. This code begins with a 'T'. To understand why this process has changes, please visit the Point to Point Transport for further information. 

This does NOT mean you can now legally drive a Taxi. This condition only means you are now eligible to apply to become a Taxi Driver in NSW.
Once this process is complete, you may then apply and book an appointment with the NSW Taxi Council to become a NSW Taxi Driver by clicking on the link towards the end of this information section.

What you need to bring to your appointment at NSW Taxi Council

  • Your NSW driver licence; (T Condition or Passenger Transport Licence Code applied)

  • 4 forms of identifcation required. Reference guide below: 

    1 x ID from Commencement of ID
    ∙ Full Australian birth certificate (not an extract or birth card)
    ∙ Current Australian passport (not expired)
    ∙ Australian visa current at time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist
    ∙ ImmiCard issued by Immigration and Border Protection
    ∙ Certificate of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry
    to Australia
    ∙ Document of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade to Australian (eg. VEVO) citizens or persons who
    have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes
    ∙ Certificate of evidence of resident status.
    1 x ID from Primary Use in Community 
    ∙ Current Australian drivers license, learner permit or provisional license issued by a state or territory,
    showing a signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed
    ∙ Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory (church or celebrant-issued certificates are not
    ∙ Current passport issued by a country other than Australia with a valid entry stamp or visa
    ∙ Current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian Government agency in the name of the
    applicant, with a signature and photo
    ∙ Current shooters or firearms license showing a signature and photo (not minor or junior permit or license)
    ∙ For persons under 18 years of age with no other Primary Use in Community Documents, a current student
    identification card with a signature or photo.
    2 x ID’s from Secondary Use In Community Documents
    ∙ Certificate of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
    ∙ Document of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
    ∙ Convention travel document secondary (United Nations) issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
    ∙ Foreign government issued documents (for example, drivers license)
    ∙ Medicare card
    ∙ Enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission
    ∙ Security guard or crowd control photo license
    ∙ Evidence of right to an Australian government benefit (Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs)
    ∙ Consular photo identity card issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
    ∙ Photo identity card issued to an officer by a police force
    ∙ Photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force
    ∙ Photo identity card issued by the Australian Government or a state or territory government
    ∙ Aviation Security Identification Card
    ∙ Maritime Security Identification card
    ∙ Credit reference check
    ∙ Australian tertiary student photo identity document
    ∙ Australian secondary student photo identity document
    ∙ Certified academic transcript from an Australian university
    ∙ Trusted referees report
    ∙ Bank card
    ∙ Credit card
  • A credit card to pay for your application of $110.00 AU – either a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card. You cannot pay by cash, personal or bank cheques. This card must be in your name or the card owner must be also present. (This covers your application, appointment, training, criminal history check and Taxi ID Card). 

    Please note, $22.00 AU deposit is to be paid online while booking an appointment for On-Boarding and $88.00 AU is to be paid during the appointment at the office. 

What happens at this appointment? - approx 30 mins

  • You will be asked to provide the documents above so the NSW Taxi Council can verify your details and connect you to the RMS and Point to Point Transport Commission Portal
  • You will be asessed on your validity to work and drive in NSW as a Taxi Driver
  • You will be assessed on your communication skills in the english language
  • You will undergo a criminal history check

When can I book into Training and How? - 1 full day (included)

  • You will receive all information and booking details when you have completed your intial appointment with the NSW Taxi Council- we will book you in manually when you come in for the appointment.

  • You will placed into a group setting and undergo extensive training covering all aspects of driving a taxi from customer service, driver fatigue and anger management, the next steps with operators and networks and applying all safety requirements to ensure you are compliant under the new regulations and fares order. 

    ***Please note that there is NO PARKING around the NSW Taxi Council Office. We strongly urge drivers booking an appointment for On-Boarding to use public transport only. Any Driver parking at other business premises around the office will be refused admission for appointment***



Are you wanting to become a driver outside of the metro area of Sydney? We have the same system in place for most country areas of NSW.

It's not expected that you travel all the way to Sydney to become a taxi driver so we've inplemented the same Safety Management System for our Country Taxi Service Providers. 

For information about becoming a taxi driver in NSW Country areas contact your local taxi network or the NSW Taxi Council on 02 9332 1266. Country Taxi Operators Associated Networks (CTOA Members) have access to an online portal which the NSW Taxi Council is processing Taxi Driver applications remotely so that we can ensure all new drivers in both Country and Metro Areas can on boarded through the new safer system.

Taxi driving is unlike other jobs, as taxi drivers have a lot of freedom to control how, when and where they work. 

The NSW Taxi Council recently talked to taxi drivers about why they like driving taxis and the advantages of becoming a taxi driver. The comments obtained from drivers in different parts of NSW confirmed that careers in the taxi industry can provide many rewards, and can suit many people for a wide range of reasons.

Of particular note is that there are a restricted number of taxis, therefore drivers have good opportunities to earn consistent and sustainable returns in the safest available working environment.

Existing Drivers ID Update

Any Taxi Driver in NSW who had a driver "authority" (now known as your driver ID card) before November 1, 2017 will be automatically transitioned into the new Point to Point Transport Portal. Furthermore, these drivers will need to ensure that their driver ID card is always displayed in the vehicle, visible to their passengers, while driving. You may be fined if your current ID is not on display. For further inquiries regarding these changes, please contact your Taxi Network, now known as your Taxi Service Provider

There are fact sheets available regarding the changes to Taxi Drivers in NSW.

Premier Cabbies


Update to Existing Drivers from RMS

Roads and Maritime Services is writing to current taxi, private hire vehicle and tourist vehicle drivers about how they will be transitioned to the new point to point transport regulatory framework.

From 1 November 2017, driver authorities will no longer be required by taxi, private hire vehicle and tourist vehicle drivers.

Instead, taxi and booking service providers may have a requirement for drivers to have a new Passenger Transport licence code on their driver licence record. The Passenger Transport licence code will help drivers and industry demonstrate they meet their safety requirements.

Drivers who hold a valid taxi, private hire vehicle or tourist vehicle driver authority at midnight on 31 October 2017 will be automatically transitioned to the new regulatory framework by having a Passenger Transport licence code added to their driver licence record. This includes driver authorities that have been extended and show an old expiry date.

These drivers will start receiving letters from 20 October 2017.

A new fact sheet for current drivers and new safety check and vehicle registration requirements are now live on the Roads and Maritime website. To find this from the homepage, select ‘Business & Industry’ then ‘Point to point transport’ or directly to Point to Point Transport Commission website here.