MAY 2011: The upgrades to the International Taxi Rank are now open.
Already the rank has reduced passenger waiting times and an additional feeder lane has also doubled the amount of taxis able to service passengers so reduces the waiting time for drivers.
Upgrades to the rank include:
- Additional loading bays:
- 6 dedicated to maxi cabs and large groups with oversized luggage requirements.
- 2 additional standard bays.
- Increased passenger corralling by 20%.
- Construction of awnings ensuring protection for passengers and drivers in inclement weather.
- Additional feeder capacity - Lane 1 by 100% and Lane 2 (new) 10 vehicle feeder.
- Dual lane feeder from holding bay to the taxi rank.
- Variable Message System for lane controls.
- Variable Message Systems for driver directions.
- Electronic coral gate system.
- Dual lane exits from the holding bay.
- Licence Plate Recognition (LPR) Short Fare System.
- Increased Pre-Booked taxi loading facility.
- Improvements to arrivals traffic flow.
- Introduction of peak and off peak operating periods.
The operating hours of the rank have also been extended – the rank is now staffed until midnight 7 days a week.
The extension is to cater for two additional Emirates Boeing 777 aircraft landing at 2230. The Airport anticipates that the additional passengers will take about an extra hour to clear from the taxi rank.