JULY 2011: An updated Electronic Short Fare System applies at all ranks at Sydney Airport. It is designed to improve the process and to provide a better service for taxi drivers and their passengers.
Cameras are located on all exit points and automatically capture every taxi leaving the ranks and removes the need for drivers to signal to the officer.
The system works like the previous system in that you must arrive back at the Domestic Precinct within a short time.
Here’s how it works:
- Driver's plate is photographed and identified electronically as a short fare..
- The taxi number is displayed on the taxi rank screen. The driver should check the screen to ensure the taxi number is in the system prior to leaving the rank.
- The driver returns within the allocated time (all short fare returns proceed to Domestic Holding Bay only).
- The driver then proceeds to the short fare lane within the holding bay (North side).
- The driver checks to see that the taxi number is still in the system on the large holding bay screen located at the front of the control room.
- If the taxi number is still on the screen and this is confirmed by the officer in the control room, the driver will be permitted entry to the terminal rank.
- If the taxi number time has expired, the driver must return to the end of the queue at the Domestic Holding Bay.
- The officers in the control room will not allow any taxi entry to the terminals unless the taxi number is current and is a valid number in the system.
Remember, the officers have no control over external factors such as traffic conditions, weather or accidents. The computer times set the limit for short fares, not the control room operators – so there is no point in blaming the officers.
However, if you want to increase the efficiency of how the system recognises you, you can follow these tips:
- A clean and undamaged licence plate will maximise the readability of the plate by the camera.
- Give the camera a chance to read the plate by not travelling too close to the vehicle in front of you.
- The camera works automatically so there is no need to tell the officer you are a short fare.
- The system has been developed for fares going to the hotels in the surrounding area - DO NOT SPEED back to the Airport.