top of page


Read the information below on eligibility criteria and application requirements:

1) Are you eligible to become a Taxi driver in NSW? and, 

2) What you will need for your application?

Then click on ''Start Online Application'  button at the end of the information section to begin your application.


Important First step: You will need to have the T condition (passenger transport code) applied to your licence.


Please read below 

To qualify to be a new taxi driver, you must meet all of the following:

  • Have held an Australian Driver Licence for a total of at least 12 months in the previous four years. (eg. if you have been driving on an unrestricted licence in another state for a total of 12 months then you are eligible, but, you must provide driving history from the state in Australia from where you came.)

  • Hold an unrestricted NSW Driver Licence. (If you do not have a NSW Driver Licence yet but have been driving with a full licence in other states for over 12 months, you must apply for this first with Service NSW)

  • Be at least 20 years old.

  • Be medically fit to drive a passenger transport vehicle. (Service NSW will determine this).

  • If required, complete an English language test of conversational English (for metropolitan Sydney applicants only).

Please note: Applicants who hold an Australian/UK/NZ/USA/Canada passport, or completed their Higher School Certificate or Tertiary Degree where the course and assessments were conducted in English, may be exempt from the English requirement. Further training for those who qualify under the exemption may be required under the discretion of the NSW Taxi Council on boarding team and management.

If you meet these requirements, your next steps are:


Getting a Passenger Transport Code (T condition) added to your licence 

  • Visit your local Service NSW 

  • Request to complete an Application to become a Point to Point Transport Passenger Vehicle Driver, you will need to apply for a Passenger Transport Licence Code. Download your application form here and lodge this to your local Service NSW outlet.

  • If deemed medically "fit" and safe to drive a Point to Point Transport Passenger Vehicle, Service NSW staff will notify you that you have been successful and a Passenger Transport Code (PTP Code or T Condition) will be applied to your current NSW Drivers Licence in the Roads & Maritime Service System. This code begins with a 'T'. To understand why this process has changes, please visit the Point to Point Transport for further information. 

This does NOT mean you can now legally drive a Taxi.


The T condition only means you are now eligible to apply to become a Taxi Driver in NSW. Once this process is complete, you may then apply to become a NSW Taxi Driver by clicking on the "Start Application" towards the end of this information section.

Having the T condition applied does not mean you have met the Licence Tenure requirements to obtain a Drivers ID. 


You will need 4 forms of identification for the application

Most Applicants use their:


1. NSW Drivers Licence (with an added T condition - passenger transport licence code from Service NSW

2. Passport 

3. Medicare Card and

4. Debit/Credit card

5. A bright photo of yourself with head and shoulders appearing (It cannot be blurry or a photo of another photo)

Any applicant who is not an Australian Citizen, will also require:

- a VEVO check for Right to Work.

- English Proficiency (IELTS or equivalent - Sydney Metro only).

Please see the Document Reference Guide below for other accepted forms of identification: 

Document Reference Guide

  • You will require 1 x ID from Commencement of ID from the following examples


  1. Full Australian birth certificate (not an extract or birth card)

  2. Current Australian passport (not expired)

  3. Australian visa current at time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist

  4. ImmiCard issued by Immigration and Border Protection

  5. Certificate of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia

  6. Document of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade to Australian (eg. VEVO) citizens or persons who

  7. Have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes

  8. Certificate of evidence of resident status.

  • You will require 1 x ID from Primary Use in Community from the following examples


  1. Current Australian drivers license, learner permit or provisional license issued by a state or territory, showing a signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed

  2. Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory (church or celebrant-issued certificates are not accepted)

  3. Current passport issued by a country other than Australia with a valid entry stamp or visa

  4. Current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian Government agency in the name of the

  5. Applicant, with a signature and photo

  6. Current shooters or firearms license showing a signature and photo (not minor or junior permit or license)

  7. For persons under 18 years of age with no other Primary Use in Community Documents, a current student

  8. Identification card with a signature or photo.

  • You will require 2 x ID’s from Secondary Use In Community Documents from the following examples


  1. Certificate of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade

  2. Document of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade

  3. Convention travel document secondary (United Nations) issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade

  4. Foreign government issued documents (for example, drivers license)

  5. Medicare card

  6. Enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission

  7. Security guard or crowd control photo license

  8. Evidence of right to an Australian government benefit (Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs)

  9. Consular photo identity card issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade

  10. Photo identity card issued to an officer by a police force

  11. Photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force

  12. Photo identity card issued by the Australian Government or a state or territory government

  13. Aviation Security Identification Card

  14. Maritime Security Identification card

  15. Credit reference check

  16. Australian tertiary student photo identity document

  17. Australian secondary student photo identity document

  18. Certified academic transcript from an Australian university

  19. Trusted referees report

  20. Bank card

  21. Credit card​


The charges for the application process are $120 AUD. This covers your Application, Verification, Online Training, Crime check and Taxi ID Card.


ID card valid for 3 years from date of submitting application.

You can make the payment online using a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card during the application process. You cannot pay by cash, personal or bank cheques.   

Have you got all the documents for eligibility check?

Click on the button below to start your application.

bottom of page